Files are one of the things which acquire the most space in your smartphone. Every file has a unique name that the program recalls when executed. The files are randomly given names when we download them as per the location of the file. This makes it uneasy for the user to search for a particular file when needed. That’s when you need to know how to rename the files.
Renaming files is a basic and easy task one frequently encounters in this online-centric world, where we do most of the work through files. Naming a file is one of the essential tasks that also helps attract the reader and grab their attention. But sometimes the file’s name is not that catchy. There comes the need to rename it. Renaming one file is not a big task. However, the real problem arises when you have to rename multiple files, which is too time-consuming.
See Also: how to combine pdf files on Mac.
Why to Rename Multiple Files at Once?
In today’s world, as it’s rightly said, ” TIME IS MONEY,” where people have no time to waste for such time-consuming work. It’s good to know how to rename multiple files at once, which saves time and makes this process much more convenient for the users. As we know, Windows offer us a few ways to do this task. It includes using the Command Prompt and powers shell tools, or a much faster option is to use files explorer to rename multiple files. There are many ways that one can use to rename files in bulk and can also assign number identifiers for different files.
How to Rename Multiple Files at Once
- Open file explorer and locate the place where the files are saved.
- Now, right-click the mouse button and select the first file in the folder you want to rename, and then click “Rename.”
- Now typing the new desired name for the file, we click on the tab key on the keyboard. This will help us simultaneously save the file’s new name and then select the file in a sequence from where we can instantly start assigning new names for specific files and the process goes on.
Another way is:-
- Open file explorer, and now we navigate toward the folder where the files are saved.
- Then, select all the files that you want to rename. We can also do this by clicking and then dragging the cursor on the files we want to rename or just by clicking on the control key and then clicking once on each file.
- The third step is to right-click on the first highlighted file, and now click on the “RENAME” option.
- After clicking on the rename option, a new pop-up opens, and then type the new file name you want to change and write it, keeping careful as this name will apply to every file we have selected and then press the enter key.
- Now, after this step, all the files that you have selected will be renamed using a “[FILE NAME] [ NUMBER]” format, which helps to identify each file individually.
And that’s it! By these easy steps, you can rename any or precisely many files in the folder at once without wasting much time and energy.
In Android devices, there is one traditional method to go to each file and rename. Another innovative method includes the follow: –
- First, download and install a popular ES FILE EXPLORER FILE MANAGER on your smartphone device.
- Now open the application and then go to the file location where you wish to rename your files and folders.
- Long press on the file until you see a selection mark on the file or folder.
- After that, you can see a checked and unchecked box near the files and folders.
- From there, you can select the files or folders which you wish to rename. And then, while clicking on the ok button, you may add the new filename.
- After putting the file name, click on the rename option and click on ok.
- Here, the batch rename option will appear.
- Here, you assign the name and number along with the starting number and in the end like a renaming pattern.
- You can add any name before your file name and then click on the rename files in the bulk option.
- Here, if you want to change the file’s extension, you can also easily do it from the rename extension option. Or else you can leave it vacant. For vacant file extension, the default extension would come into play. It’s because the file manager has multiple file rename utilities that can be of much use when we rename files in bulk.
See Also: how to transfer photos from Android to Mac.
Now we know different methods to rename multiple files at once on any device. Use these methods to rename files in bulk and save your precious time!
Carrie-Ann Skinner is Smart Home & Appliances Editor at TechiePlus, and has more than two decades experience in both online and print journalism, with 13 years of that spent covering all-things tech. Carrie specializes in smart home devices such as smart plugs and smart lights, as well as large and small appliances including vacuum cleaners, air fryers, and blenders.