A bootable pen drive is useful for several reasons that allow a system to access files via the pen drive on your computer.We will discuss in this Article about how to make bootable pendrive, A bootable thumb drive allows the reinstallation of Windows OS on a system after a recent hardware upgrade or replacement; possibly upgrading or repairing the current Windows version. It is important to note that earlier versions of Windows OS before the Windows 7 like Windows XP that cannot be use to make the USB bootable.
How To Make Bootable Pendrive ?
Let us see what applications are required to make a bootable pendrive, LINUX Systems require third party applications to make a pen drive bootable.
There are some pre-requisites however that include:
- Pen drive with a space of at least 8GB
- Good internet connection, and finally
- Product key for your Windows
Note: The product may not be required for digital purchases for the OS.
Check also: How To Update Straight Talk Phone Signal?
Let us discuss step wise how to make bootable pendrive
Step 1 – Back Up Your Files And Data Existing On Your System
This step is highly recommended for users upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
This is because during the installation process the PC may crash or may partially install providing errors that may corrupt or wipe out system files. It is first step for how to make bootable pendrive.
Step 2 – Format The Pen Drive
1. Before we begin, the pen drive needs to be formatted completely, so make sure there are no important files. Now is the time to transfer them to another storage option if there are.
2. After connecting the pen drive to the system, Right-click on the Start Menu and choose Disk Management.
3. To format the partition: Right-click the USB drive partition, click on the Format button, and select FAT32 or NTFS (preferred) file system.
4. To activate this partition for further use, right-click on the USB drive partition again and set it as active.
Alternatively, using Command Prompt to make a bootable pendrive
1. Press Windows +R button on your system and type cmd.
2. Connect the USB you want to boot from.
3. Once the pop up appears, type the command “disk part” and press enter.
4. Type the command list disk that displays your system’s available removable devices and storage options.
5. Select the pen drive identified by its capacity in the list with the respective disk number. Type the command “select disk X” (X-denoted the number, usually 1) and hit Enter.
6. If the pen drive is empty or has unwanted files, type “clean” to remove the USB files.
7. After this, to create a partition, type “create partition primary”.
8. To select the primary partition, type “select partition 1”.
9. To format the partition necessary for the Media Installation Tool for the pen drive, type “format=fs NTFS”
10. To activate the partition type “active” and hit Enter.
11. Now we can exit the DISKPART by typing “exit”.
Next we are moving to the next step of how to make bootable pendrive
Step 3– Install Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
1. To Know how to make bootable pendrive Go to the Microsoft’s website and install the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10.
2. After the download has completed, open the file and Accept permission to run it in the administrator pop-up the follows it.
3. Next, select to create an installation media and your systems’ architecture, Language and the Windows Edition you want to use. If you are unsure about it, click the small box that indicates “Use the recommended option for your PC”.
4. Choose the media through which we are going to install the OS. In this case it is a USB, so we go ahead and click that.
5. The installer will show the available removable drives or USBs plugged into the system. Make sure you select the right one and proceed.
6. Now the installer will download the latest Windows OS on your system files on your pen drive. The time duration depends on the USB type (2.1 or 3.0) and internet speeds.
7. Finally, click finish to close the installer and you are good to go.
Step 4 – Installing Windows
1. Go ahead and connect the USB to the PC and reboot it while it is connected. Make sure your PC has enough charge or is preferably plugged into a power supply.
2. During device boot up and press the key that opens up the device boot up menu such as the F10/F12 keys and select the option that boots up from the pen drive.
3. The windows setup installer will guide you for the next steps for a successful installation.
4. Now you may remove the flash drive and use it for other file storing purposes if you like.
The last step of how to make bootable pendrive is below
Step 5 – After Completion
The setup will finish within few minutes
And after completion will load up the home screen just as usual provided you backed up all documents existing on your PC on an external hard disk and now can transfer it back again to your main storage option in your PC ad enjoy your new updated/ repaired Windows Operation System with the help of how to make bootable pendrive.
To sum up, this post explains how to create a bootable pendrive in simple stages so to reap the benefits of a bootable pendrive, follow these steps.
Sourabh Kulesh is a Chief Sub Editor at TechiePlus. He has worked in a national daily newspaper, a news agency, a magazine and now writing technology news online. He has knowledge on a wide gamut of topics related to cybersecurity, enterprise and consumer technology.