RAM frequency is an essential aspect for the smooth functioning of your device, be it a PC, a laptop or a mobile, etc. To recollect its background knowledge, let’s answer the question of what RAM is. A computer has two types of memory, one where the data is stored permanently, non-volatile (Solid States Drive (SSD), Hard Disk Drive [HDD]) and another where the information is stored temporarily, volatile. This storage where the data is stored temporarily has a crucial objective. In this article. you will learn how to Check RAM Frequency in simple ways in different Operating Systems.
- 1 How To Check RAM Frequency
- 2 Conclusion
How To Check RAM Frequency
Short form for Random Access Memory, RAM, is the storage used by the applications running in the computer at the moment. In other words, while running an application, all the files required for it to run smoothly is stored in RAM. The more memory you have in RAM, the faster the applications work. Ther are two types of RAM, Static Random Access Memory(SRAM) and Dynamic Random Access Memory(DRAM)
RAM frequency is the number of instructions performing per second by the computer. We measure RAM frequency in Megahertz (MHz). For instance, if the rate of RAM is at 2400 MHz, it serves 2.4 billion cycles per second. You may find laptops with 16 or 32 Gb RAM that are usually gaming laptops. There are laptops with 4 or 8 Gb RAM too. If you do not require to do any heavy tasks, then 4 Gb RAM will work for you, but you might need RAM with more storage if you are into gaming or designing.
How To Check RAM Frequency in Windows
We have several ways to determine our RAM frequency. They are:
1. Using Cmd
An abbreviation of Command, it opens the command line window in your windows computers.
- Press the Windows Key along with the X key. A dialogue box Run appears on your window. Click cmd.
- Then type wmic memory chip get speed into the Command window and again press Enter (Here, which stands for Windows Management Instrumentation Command-line. WMI is used to manage data and operations of the operating system.).
- It will display the RAM frequency after your command.
For example, in my case, it is 3200MHz, which means it performs 3.2 billion cycles per second.
2. Task Manager
- Press, the Ctrl+ X keys. Click on the Task Manager amongst the options given.
- A window appears where you can click on the performance tab There is the frequency mention under the Memory section as shown below.
(You can do the same operation by using Ctrl+ Shift+ Esc key combination)
Another efficient method for knowing the RAM frequency is BIOS. It stands for Basic Input /Output System. It is the program that runs during the booting of the computer and initializes all the computer’s hardware components.
- While switching on the computer, press the function key (F1 /F2/ F10), leading you to the BIOS settings.
- GO to the Overclock Settings with the help of arrow keys and then press Enter.
- Select the Memory sub-menu to view the RAM settings, and there you can view the RAM speed.
- Press Esc to exit from BIOS.
4. Application Software
These were the methods for Windows operators. Following are the plans for iOS Operators.
How To Check RAM Frequency in macOS
If you are a macOS user, you need to open the Mac’s Activity Monitor to know the RAM’s performance. It does not exactly show you the speed like windows does but shows usage of RAM at the moment.
- Press the Cmd+Space key combination to open Apple’s Spotlight.
- Type ‘Activity Monitor’ in the search bar and then open it.
- You can view the Memory Status bar for the RAM’s performance.
How To Check RAM Frequency in Android
RAM in mobile phones Has reached up to 12 Gb, and it is up to 8 Gb for tablets. Now for Android users! This might intrigue you, and you must try this out! Do you know that there is something known as ‘Developer settings’ that is hidden in your phone? To unhide it, you need to
- Go to the Settings, then About Device, tap the Build Number seven times.
- Now, when you go back to the Settings window, you see another option,’ Developer settings, ‘has been added.
- Now open ‘Developer Settings.’
- Tap on ‘Running Services.’
- There, you may see the RAM performance and also the storage consumed by the applications.
How To Check RAM Frequency in Linux
You must keep a check on the RAM if you are a Linux user to take preventative measures for proper functioning.
Using $free Command
This is the simplest way to find out how much RAM is being occupied and how much is free. Type the command $free and let it do its work.
It is essential to know how much RAM you have to determine its performance. Proper function of Ram is necessary for a better experience while using your device. More RAM Frequency means better performance while multitasking and using several apps at once.
It is expected that this article gave an articulate knowledge about the computer and made your understanding better. We hope this article on How To Check RAM Frequency will be helpful to our readers.